Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Letter 6 July 24, 1941

Dear Mother & Dad,

Just finished off a letter to Vandy. It was short but sweet! Thank you again for the fifteen dollars. It well mean no credit and I realize now that that is the way I would like it. Guess it's the way you brought me up. I'm proud of both of you.

I get all my cleaning done downstairs, cook dinner for Brid and myself, and have made one or two resolutions which I intend to keep. First, I intend to eat regularly and second get a lot of sleep. So far, I haven't broken them. If the army were to take me I would stay physically healthy---but---if I stay here and work for a factory, I can stay healthy in many ways.

The school is different than any schools I have ever seen. It's the next closest thing to the army. They are hard, strict, tough, disciplinarians, heartless, but firm and interesting to work for. Besides my liking their methods, i am learning something. I don't mind being thoroughly bossed but I can still think for myself and they like students who think for themselves, voice opinions, and take orders. Under such circumstances I enjoy such discipline. They are fair, concise, and honest and are heartless toward cowards, slackers and wishy-washy persons. It builds up a felling of loyalty and honour for your country. They seem to think we are the backbone of the defense. I am quite sure we are!

Well, what a paragraph! I didn't thin I could stick to an idea for so many lines.

Are you two having fun. I hope so. Write and tell me what you do and see and if it isn't to inconvenient we would all appreciate the Sunday edition of the paper.

I am having fun in a moderate way. Never spend over fifty cents if I go out for the evening and seldom go out because the apartment is so homey...kitchen, and the whole works. Even sheets on the bed.

Well, I think I'll tuck myself in--so write soon. Love Tom Good nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment