Friday, January 30, 2009

Letter 15, September 6, 1941

Dear Mother & Dad,

I just finished a letter to Vandy. I told her about the trip down. It was tiresome and uneventful, but that isn't what I want to say to you. I have got a confession to make.

I drove Moend's car from Provo down. He got a touch of tomaine and was quite ill. All the way down I thought of what I was giving up to come down here. For two days I have done nothing but think of my future, and this is what I have concluded.

I made some rash promises which were radically wrong. If I had thought, I wouldn't be saying this now. At least it leaves me somewhat wiser. I told you I was going to become a government inspector. If I were to try, I found out later it would take me two years at the very least to become one at Lockheed. I am going to stop kidding myself. Unless I am married I won't get over two month deferments from the Army and I don't intend to get married by then.

My advertising course was here when I got back. After reading it over I still know that is what I want to go into. With your help Louise, and your inspiration Mother--I think I can get tenfold the amount of good out of the next two years at home rather than here. I realize now that I am doing what 90,000 other young fellows are doing. But they are doing it because they have to. They haven't the opportunities at home that I have. The vital defense is there as well as here and every thing I want is in S.L. If you feel that I would be better off at home let me know and I will see you in the near future. I hate to admit it but I think I have made a mistake in coming down here again. But, I didn't quite realize so, until this course came. I only regret that I didn't attempt something like this a couple of years ago. I would have been much more wiser. Write soon and let me know. I haven't, as yet, Louise had time to sell your poems. Will try with all my effort, though, before I come home. That is if you think it would be best-----Love, Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment