Monday, January 5, 2009

Letter 5---July 23, 1941

Dear Mother & Dad,

Thank you for the letters. They were really swell, and thank you for the fifteen dollars. I can certainly use it. We've got a laundry bill to pay.

Today I had a test. It lasted eight hours. After whipping up a head-ache and going cross-eyed over some of the questions, I passed it. Due to that I am eligable, or how-ever you spell it--to finish in seven more days. That means I will start work sometime in the near future. Possibly about the middle or the end of the week.

I know now why you never get anymore calls for me. All of the boys are down here.

I didn't see the 1,000 Hudson bomber, but I think I have seen a thousand planes since I got here. They are a new element in the air force.....Steel, iron, brass, aluminum etc. ---an alloy in the elements. Using the word alloy in a very general sense. The air and even the ground around the factory and air terminals, are literally lousy with them. I didn't get to see Ford Halefan or Knudson. They were both here, one touring and the other inspecting---and me, well, I had to go to school.

Am glad to hear that business is boomin! Means I might see you---huh? Good! If you do come, I will show you the town. I should know it quite well by then.

Today with your letters, one came from Vandy. Between both of you I get just about all the news from home. Speaking of news, Your idea of sending me the Sunday paper is capitol. I miss the funnies! Send it if you can, we would all appreciate it. Lets see, I was talking about your letters. Vandy calls herself my Salt Lake correspondent. Louise, your suggestion of a ride and dinner to Provo meets whole-heartedly with my approval. Let me know if you take Vandy, and what happens.

Bird, Les, and myself are just sitting here, all writing home. Les is the Salt Lake fellow I told you about who is living up the street. He spends a lot of time with us and is a good fellow.

I saw Moenck last night. He came over and chatted for awhile and we all plan to get together next Sunday. We think we will go to the beach. If you can will you send me my yellow swimming suit with the Sunday paper. I am glad that everything is soaring like a P-38 (Lockhead intercepta) and that you are both well. Can't get enough sleep, so I think I will tuck myself in. Write soon and thanks again for the fifteen dollars. Love, Tom

P.S. The climate agrees with me. It makes me want to sleep & eat. We do our own cooking and never miss a meal. Good-nite

No comments:

Post a Comment