Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Letter 11, August 13, 1941

Dear Mother & Dad,

My first check came last night. It was short, but will help. At last I am finally started. The check was for one night--$4.52. I can manage perfectly from here on. Thanks to you, I've got this far. Don't know how I would have done it otherwise.

I may see you over Labor day. Bird is going to come home, and I am going to come with him if I get an extra two days off, which I am going to request first thing in the morning. If I don't get it, I can dream anyway.

How was your trip to Idaho? Did you have fun and raise hell with the old gang?

I guess you have thought over my future in the advertising department here. What do you think by now? I am still hopped up over it. Write and tell me what I ought to do and we will discuss it when I get home.

When I said that I was started, I meant that also, in reference to my living budget. I have got it worked out so I sleep eight or ten hours a day, eat regularly and keep all of my linens clean at a very moderate price--never more than a dollar a week. Average is about sixty or seventy cents for linens. Lost about twelve or fifteen a week to--leaves about twelve or fifteen a week to live. The rest is gravy.

I got a letter from Louise, and she says I should buy government bonds. After thinking over what you have said about them, and what she said in her letter, I think I will invest in one about every month.

Will write tomorrow at present, have got to write Louise and Vandy. Love, Tom

2 comments:

  1. It has been neat to see what life was like for our grandparents. It is very different from today. For some reason I am getting the vibe that he was very in control of almost all aspects of his life.

    from james

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these letters. What a wonderfully caring and grateful man Tom was. You can tell from these letters that he was full of life but also very responsible and had a firm hold of where he wanted to go in life. While God has a hand in all things, it makes me a little sad reading these as I wonder where his life would have ended up. He would have done great things I am sure. Did he buy those government bonds Grandma suggested???? Wouldn't we all like to have those now!

    ReplyDelete