Saturday, January 3, 2009

Letter 4---July 19, 1941

Dear Mom & Dad,

Have got about five minutes before I go to school for writing. I was going to write last night but another group of fellows from S.L. came down. They are Harvey Patton, Palmer Ford, Leroy Johnson, Dick Dorton, and Les Struese, and all except Johnson, are going to the Fletcher Air Craft School. They live near here and Les has a car who we all ride out with. Well, I have got to run downstairs and meet them so I will finish this tonight.

Good evening---What are you two eating & doing tonight?---I wonder. I just had dinner with the Bridwells. They certainly are hospitable to me--in fact they are so nice and generous it embarrasses me. They take me riding with them in the evenings, have introduced me to their relatives, and friends, and insist that I eat with them every evening. They are going to leave Sunday and Mrs. Bridwell is going to teach us how to make out our menu's or rather she is going to go with us when we shop and give us a few hints on what to eat, when, where, and how to eat it. (now I am going to do a little bragging)

I am among the top thus far in school. It isn't too difficult but then it takes a lot of time, constant work during school hours, and an hour or more of study each evening. My instructor is an aironotical--or however you spell it--engineer; he is about 28 years old, knows how to handle men and is very friendly toward me. He likes me but trys not to show it by being tough. (as a teacher). He makes me want to work.

Thus far I have learned how to rivet, bundle electric drills, buckrivets, lay out sheet metal, cut metal, and read blue prints. Today he started me on a wing. It is placed above us and we have to drill holes for the rivets and their hammer and buck them. Bucking is done by holding the rivet gun against the head of the rivet and then you place a piece of solid steel against the other end (or tail). When the trigger is pushed on the gun it mashes the tail of the rivet down flat, locking the metals together. It is interesting and fun but I am still interested in advertising and intend to do a great deal of writing as you advised Louis.---Mainly it will be to you and Vandy. Let me know if you take her out. If you haven't yet, call her, I am sure she would go and you will both like her.

Yesterday was payday for Earl so he and I went bowling. I have got about eight dollars left and I am going to give five to Mrs. Bridwell for my share of the food which we are going to cook. If you can, Louis, will you send me a little money. I will need some for transportation and then I would feel a little better if I had a little to carry around. I can't think of any more expenses but I will be broke sometime next week. My letters always have bad news in them---I guess I had better stop writing before I tell you I'm homesick. Well, be good you two and write soon.
Love, Tom

P.S. Could I have some money about the middle of next week. Mercenary, aren't I!

No comments:

Post a Comment