Monday, August 31, 2009

January 8, 1942

Dear Mother and Dad,

Just finished another lesson! Have been planning to write to you every day this week. Sorry I haven't written more often these past two weeks. Now to get back in the grove. As one of my new fellows says--"Let's get groovey."

My lessons are getting tough. So tough, that I have to spend four and five hours a night on them to keep up my schedule. I think I have discovered something or maybe it's because I like this course, but the tougher they come, the better I like em': the harder I work, the easier they come. Anyway, it all simmers down to good old hard work and the feeling of accomplishment. That old adage--work a little harder and do a little m ore than the best fellow, is proving itself to me at the plant, too. Now I am bragging. Gad something went wrong with the space regulator--maybe my bragging did it.

Over the next week-end I went to a cowboy feature out in Hollywood. When I got home, Nelson was in from work, so we went out and got a bite to eat, bought some funny books, came home and got into bed, read the books until about three, and then talked until sun-up. After that we tucked our torsos in for the day. I slept all day Sat., and Nelson said he didn't work very hard, so we came to the conclusion we had more pep than a couple of caged panthers--the result was our staying up all night. When we got up Sun. night, Nelson went to Hollywood to hear Tommy Dorsey--a dance band--and I resumed my studies until twelve. Then I started punching in a new week at the plant.

Some variety has reached old 404 at last. Over the week-end a couple of good looking gals moved in. I don't know them too well as yet, but I intend to get acquainted. I have a kick, though! Now I have to shave when i go to dinner.

The rent went up on the 1st as did everything else in this country. Instead of the usual eight a week, now I am paying nine. It's well worth nine, though, and under the circumstances--prices soaring--I don't mind at all. Probably wouldn't be making the money I am, if it weren't for the boom.

Am still hell bent on getting the best possible rating I can for the time I have been at the plant. Have gone speed "nutty" or at least that's what the boys say. If I possibly can, though, I am going to have the fastest, most efficient, thorough crew on the graveyard.

Have got some reading I want to do before I go to work and if I write anymore I won't be able to finish it. Now I'm bragging again. All's well, write soon, and I will do the same. Love, Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment