Tuesday, August 25, 2009

December 15, 1941

Dear Mother and Dad,

Am still sitting tight. And am just going to continue doing so until something more-or-less definitely hinders my doing so. Not much can be determined to date but from the reports in the newspapers concerning the new draft regulations i judge that in the very near future I will have something definite to determine the course of action I may take--vital defense or home defense.

I have read over the questionnaire, in fact I have it in front of me now--had to check the spelling of questionnaire, and the entire set-up intrigues me very much. Fellows are leaving the air-craft industry every day to enlist because they don't think they will get another deferment and they want to choose that branch of the service that appeals to them---that they are fitted for---otherwise they seem to think that they will not get in to the type of service they want. I guess I will have to register now, so I am going to get ready to enlist in the Ski Patrol. I think that it is the wisest thing to do because the government might speed up and clamp down on the inductment program. At any rate I want to do my part and be where I am best fitted.

During the past few days painters have been going over the windows of the plant with black and white paint. First they sprayed the windows white to give better reflection on the inside and then they pained them black. This all took place on the outside! When I went to work last night I hardly new where to get off the street-car it was so black, in fact I got off a block to soon, as did a number of other fellows. Will have to find myself another land mark. Am still having a lot of fun at work and thinks look promising in a way and not so promising in another. They are hiring boys under twenty one and women exclusively. It is promising that I might get a better position out of it while they are in training and not so promising when you think that after after they a re trained they can be used to replace you.

A new fellow moved into the house the other day. He is about twenty five, is very brilliant in accounting from all that he says, and he resembles the book-worm in every respect. He is now studying for a C.P.A. rating, and is very thick concerning life in the raw. He is likeable, though--his name is Tom---hm-m-m I wonder, now I am getting cocky--had better stop. That just about sums up everything of importance. Haven't quite completed Christmas shopping and still don't know whether I can come home for Xmas. Am feeling great and will write soon. Love Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment