Thursday, August 27, 2009

December 23, 1941

Dear Mother and Dad,

Just finished dinner and the regular evening bull-session. Discussed the recent bombings off our coast and our chances of holding our jobs which seem rather promising. Tonight is my last night of work. We get paid tonight--happy thought--and I am going to hang one of my dirty old wools under the tree. Mrs. Wilson has a small tree and all borders will be present to catch Santa.

I should have written this letter sooner--sorry. Finally got all of my presents in the mail--sent Louise and Ellen some colored table cloths--Dick and Bob some hand bordered handkerchiefs--and Vandy a wrist watch. Went overboard on the wrist watch but she is certainly worth it. Received your package last Sat. but didn't open it. Sun., didn't open it, Mon. , didn't open it. Tues., Thanks a million: Without a doubt, it is the most wonderful present a fellow could ever get. Sorry that I didn't wait or couldn't wait but I was busting with curiously. It makes my Christmas a complete one--well almost--even though I can't make it home.

If you ever get a chance I want you to do a little explaining for me to Vandy. Last Sat. I wrapped all of my presents and went down to the post office and mailed them. That is, I mailed all but one--Vandy's watch. The post-man wouldn't insure it the way it was wrapped, so I went to the nearest jeweler and got some equipment to mail it in. Upon completing the job of re-wrapping I discovered that I didn't have enough tissue paper to pack it tight so I went into the nearest cocktail lounge and bought a dimes worth of a little cocktail tissue. And with those I completed the job. She is going to wonder and so are her parents if she opens the present under the tree Christmas morning. As I planned, I hope it goes off as a gag and doesn't make Vandy or her family agog.

Now to do a little more explaining. The glassware I sent to you should be divided thus, the rose drinking glasses are for you mother and the cocktail set is for you Louise. Sorry I couldn't say so with the shipment but I had them sent directly from the store. I didn't send the boys any present Boby and Gary, and Boby, but tell them that I will make up for it.

There isn't much news, am feeling great, and still getting along swell at work. Merry Christmas and thank you again for the watch. Reached me in fine shape and makes my Christmas truly a complete one. Love, Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment