Wednesday, August 26, 2009

December 18, 1941

Dear Mother and Dad,

Well, just like I was saying, I am going to try and write more often. Looks like I'm off to a good start. I won't tell you anything that I have heard about the war because, mainly, you probably know more about it than I do. The radios have been off all day and I haven't heard a blasting thing. Last night only a few of the airplane factories were open and at the ones that were open, black-outs prevailed. At Plant number two, my plant is about the safest spot in L.A., secluded in the eastern part of the city, out of the airplane industry section, word was passed around by the lead men that there might possibly be a blackout, and that if there was one, to drop everything you were doing and not move. Anyone caught moving, they stated, would be fired. Well, we didn't have a blackout. The location of the plant determined that ---it was about the only plant in the Pacific area that didn't have one.

I just heard the President speak (Franklin Roosevelt) Sounds as though we've got a real fight on our hands.

The Lockheed paper stated today, in a round about way, that they would fight to keep their men where they are. Sounds good. At any rate, I am just going to sit tight.

After the President's speech, one of the twins and I listened to a news broadcast, and when he heard that the country had stopped producing tires, he bolted out of the room hollering that he was going to buy a new set before the word got around.

I got some more good news from the school today. They are going to let me have what they call their "emblem of merit", which is judged by the first three months record. Can you imagine---me---It is a pin, made of fourteen karat gold with a red and gold setting.

From the looks of things now, I don't think I will be able to come home Christmas. Looks like I will be working seven days a week; but then I don't mind under the circumstances. Speaking of giving hints for presents, why don't you give me a few? Am going wild over some of my decisions.

I am going to try to write a letter or two to someone every night, and Louise, if you find anything in my style, which I am sure you will, and if you want to call it a style, let me know. Would appreciate it.

Am inspired by the school, feel safe and secure at least for the present, about my work, am feeling fine, and now I am going to dig in an see if I can't get another lesson in this week. Thus far, I have covered about a fourth or a third of my course. It is a lot of fun to work and study this course. Why didn't you tell me about it sooner? Write soon and I will do the same. Love, Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment