Friday, August 28, 2009

January 3, 1942

Dear mother and Dad,

Just got back from a show! Last night at the plant a group of us decided we would get together this afternoon and see a show. Was a good show, and we had a lot of fun ribbing each other as is our manner---Have made a lot of acquaintances to date at the plant and the boys are a great bunch of fellows. the best news of all, though, is yet to come. Starting last Mon. I became a full fledged instructor, with about five new fellows to instruct. The work is easy and a lot of fun. I have more responsibility now but I love it. Where I used to be responsible for only myself I am responsible now for the five. As yet I am not getting an increase in pay and won't until I get y first six month training period review. If my review is successful and my past record warrants a raise according to their pay standards then I will get a raise. Am hoping, but if I don't get what I expect, I am not going to cry--am going to keep on plugging. Now I'm bragging or preaching--will change the subject and tell about my holidays. Main thought is, though if I work hard enough I might get classified as a key man in defense industry.

My holidays consisted of two days off,--Christmas and the following Sun. I had to work New Years but then I didn't mind--I didn't' especially have anything to do--saved money as well as earned double time for working the holiday. Christmas was a big day for me. I had a new watch to show off,--my proudest possession--which made it a complete day. Different fellows I know in this still warm sunny country, either from the plant or Salt lake dropped in. Whooped it up with the boys in the house and the boys from the plant, talked over old times with the boys from home, and got fairly stewed before going to work. Felt good in time to go to work but some of the fellows were in poor shape. In fact, even my Foreman was plastered. As far as everyone was concerned, with the exception of the boys I work with, I was one of the few boys who came to work sober. Added prestige, I hope. There I go again.

Want to thank you again for the watch. I have a hard time telling you how much I appreciate it because I am so proud of it and it means so much to me. I can't seem to find words other than thanks. Guess I became flabbergasted every time I think about it. Thanks again--it's a present I will never forget.

Am feeling fine, fit, and that usual winter cold I used to have at home hasn't haunted me in the least this year--guess it's the climate. Am still romping along with my course, and have got a routine now that you might call a rut, but, which keeps me well occupied and happy.

Got a letter from Vandy today. She devoted half of her letter to y our phone call and wants me to thank you for calling. I think she appreciated it very much. You ought to drop over to see her. Love, Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment