Friday, August 21, 2009

December 9, 1941

Dear Mother and Dad,

Have got a half-an-hour before I go to work, read over my lesson after dinner, finished my reading about nine thirty, and since, have been listening to the latest developments.

I was listening to a broadcast and the commentator was going to divulge some information concerning the third shift defense workers when one of the twins came in and changed the station on the radio. I tried to find the station again, but couldn't find the familiar tone of the commentators voice. I guess I will hear about it though if it was important.

Yesterday we went out riding. We drove past the various airplane factories, or that is we drove as close as the Army would permit. They had blocked all roads within walking distance of the factories and Big Bill ask one of the soldiers how he could get into work and the soldier told him he could get in if he could properly identify himself. Near the factories anti-air craft has been mounted, search lights, and the like, and the detachments have pitched their pup-tents in the adjoining fields.

On the way home we were stopped by a police car at an intersection and they asked us for identification as they did everyone else. We talked to the police for awhile--in fact we became quite friendly--and then headed for home.

When the news first reached this country, the police and the firemen immediately went into action by surrounding the Japanese districts looking for any type of subversive activity. Reports over the radio said that they picked up a few of the devils.

When I went to work last night I had to identify myself through a maze of guards. Took me a little longer than usual, was interesting, and extremely exciting.

They are going to reclassify everyone at the plant again, soon, now, and those that are not absolutely essential in defense will be drafted by the Army. If they rate me as Army fodder I am going to quit and come back to Salt Lake and join something like the Coast Guard. We will give that some thought, but is inevitable the best. Am feeling fit and now I have got to go to work. Will try to write more often and give you the low down. Love, Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment