Friday, September 4, 2009

January 20, 1942

Dear Mother and Dad,

Just finished dinner and getting my laundry. I started the new week out with a bang and a butch. One of the new fellows that I neglected to watch, for about ten seconds, drilled a hole next to a jig hole--the jug holes are the mating holes or the holes used to bolt the entire wing together at final assembly. Lat night I was given two more new men to teach. I was tearing my hair because they didn't seem to comprehend a thing that I said. Guess they weren't listening, no doubt. At any rate, I hope and think that I can have them all well trained within a month. Out of the seven men that I am teaching there is really only one that I have been able to rely on so far.

Whity phoned me Sat. night. He is staying in an apartment with two other Salt Lake fellows. He is going back to school and the other two work at Lockheed. He told me that he talked to you while he was home and asked me if I liked my new watch. Sounded like a conspiracy. I was getting set to tell him about it just as he asked. Andy, the engineer and new boy in the house--a swell fellow--and I went over to see the boys. When we came home we raided the ice box, and then tucked in, but not until we had read the funny papers.

Sun. morn at the breakfast table Andy asked me if I wanted to go see a couple of old maids with him. I was feeling chipper upon seeing the sun for the first time in a week, so I said that I would enjoy visiting with some of his friends. They turned out to be old maids all right but they were also marvelous company. They are the type that you meet in the skiing areas--hospitable and friendly. One of them is a nurse, second lieutenant, in the Army and the other is in the advertising game. The one in advertising, is connected with the sales department in a department store here. We discussed advertising, and I pinned her ears back a couple of times, concerning mediums and illustrations. She laughed and wanted to know where I got all of my information. I told her and then leaned back and listened while she told me about her job. Andy finished talking to them and we left. We ate, and then came home. I sat around until the sun went down and then went to bed.

Have got to get busy now. Have got to write Vandy a letter, and the fellow who lived here and joined the Army about two months ago, or rather the fellow who got drafted. I feel great and will write soon. Love, Tom

P.S. Got another lesson back today. My grade was a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment