Monday, December 22, 2008

I haven't pieced together very much of Tom's early life. I will continue to work on it as the year goes on.

Tomas William Larsen was born on February 25th 1921 in the Salt Lake Maternity Hospital 2079 So. 5th E. Salt Lake City, Utah. His father was Louis William Larsen and his mother was Ada Hendricks Larsen. The family lived at 2121 Green Street, Salt Lake City, Utah.

When Tom was 20, July, 1941 he left home to go to California. He got job at the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation in Burbank, California August 1, 1941. The letters that follow are original letters in Tom's handwriting.


Letter 1 July 9, 1941
Frostonya Apartments
346 No. Vermont Ave.
Los Angeles, Ca

Dear Folks,

God---this isn't what it's cracked up top be. The streets are dirty and the heat is terrific. The people are typical Californians---as is only natural---they are ---in the main---dirty, greasy--but happy, I guess. It makes me laugh when I talk to some of these Californians. They have the impression that this is God's country and that they are God's people.

The trip down was uneventful, tiresome and extremely hot! When we finally found my destination, through this maze of street, traffic, pedestrians, and stop lights, it was 2:00 O'clock. I flopped on the couch and just woke up for the first time. I don't think I have ever been so tired. I feel as fit a a fiddle now!

This apartment is quite the "joint". It has a kitchen, plenty of drawer space, is modern but moderately furnished, and most important of all is thoroughly clean. It's quite a ritzy dump downstairs. There is a large comfortable inviting lounge with a six foot fire place in one end. On the south side there is a patio with a bird bath, fountain, and garden in the center. Surrounding the center piece are deck lounging chairs, tables, swings, and even umbrellas for those who use it during the day. Our unit is $45 a month, which isn't bad at all when split we split it three ways. The factory is twelve miles away. It takes about an hour to get to it by bus or streetcar. There are two competitive transportation lines and they have different locals. Only one goes to Burbank. This is the way it was explained to me. You have to make several changes or transfers to get there. It cost 7 cents to ride the streetcars or buses, you have to use both lines to get there and going out and back each day by that method totals 28 cents which is too expensive, tiresome and long in respect to time. I have got a ride for a few days. Bud, the fellow I came with, is going to pick me up, but I can't impose and depend on him to much because he lives about six miles from here towards the factory. He is staying in a boarding house with his brother.

Dad, I can get a cheap car for about $70 or $80 dollars. That would be a Model A. If you could possible afford to send me that much money, I would certainly appreciate it and will pay you back as soon as I start working. Rides are scarce. there is no one here with a car. None of the fellows live close to Burbank. If I can possible find a ride and you send me the money I will send it back but according to Nelson, the other fellow here, they are pretty scarce here. The shift he has is at night where as mine will be in the daytime or I could ride with him, and Bridwell goes about twelve miles south the opposite direction from Burbank. A car is necessary, I am finding out. Write soon or contact me in a couple of days if you can send me that money. Love to you both. Your son, Tom

PS
Keep your eye on "Vandy" for me if you feel like you know her well enough. She said she would appreciate and enjoy your company. I will keep you informed of everything I do!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It is amazing to find this post. We currently manage the Frostonya Apartments. We actually took over in December and were looking for some history on the property. We would love to hear more and are so grateful to have found this post. Thank you for positing and sharing this letter. If you would care to contact me, my name is Farhad Eshaghpour and you can reach us by email at Info@frostonya.com after today (we are currently setting up the web site and email accounts). Thanks again. Frank

    ReplyDelete